Taxis Palmerston North

Our History

Life was never meant to be easy and for cab drivers in the early half of last century this could never be truer. Drivers competed strongly against each other for trade until the ‘Butler Inquiry’ commission in 1936 investigated taxicab services in New Zealand.

The result was stability for the industry throughout New Zealand with new regulations gazetted in 1939. The New Zealand Taxi Proprietors Federation (NZTPF) was formed in 1938 and the local Manawatu Wairarapa Taxi Proprietors Association quickly followed and affiliated with the NZTPF.

Taxi owners were able to get higher quality cars and the community benefitted from the better services provided over a range of hires such as weddings. Operating a taxi now became a satisfactory way to earn a living.

By 1955 the number of licenses exceeded the business available in Palmerston North. More licenses were also being issued and a total of seven different taxi firms were competing against each other. Familiar names include Blue Band, Atta Taxis, Grey Cabs, Deluxe Taxis and ATC Taxis. Fares may have been cheap, but the local industry could not support it and survival of all was in question.

1960 saw a review into the local services by new Licensing Authority, Air Vice-Marshal Calder. A new direction was put forward for the industry to re-establish itself into not more than two companies with approved controls and rosters.

Atta and Grey Cabs merged and the rest reformed under the Blue Band name. Each company had an equal number of licensees and both cooperated to control the industry. Many owners saw the duplication in organisation of the competing trades was a waste of vehicle utilisation and attempts were made to amalgamate.

In 1963, the unification was agreed and Taxis Palmerston North was formed, with Frank Moore as the first full-time manager.

The turmoil that beset the industry did not end there with the years between 1963 and the Company taking over the PNCC Bus Services, in 1991, seeing then manager, Eric Proctor, face challenges such as a rise in public ownership of motorcars, the oil crisis, the cost of vehicles, regulation on fare fixing, insurance and two tariff fare charges.

Operating for many years at its freehold premises in Bennett Street, under Jim Walker and then Garry Hodges, Taxis Palmerston North has continued to serve the local community through improved technology and customer service.

Now operating from it’s new premises in Tremaine Avenue, Taxis Palmerston North is embracing the future with a premium fully redundant call centre dedicated to offering greater services and response times. Our new image and logo coincides with our new premises and 50-year anniversary. The clock tower is our symbol of ties to Palmerston North now and into the future, and represents our company’s and our driver’s dedication to working with local organisations and customers to improve the services we provide to them.

Dedicated to providing and improving services, the drivers of Palmerston North Taxis look forward to meeting the public needs and growing together with their community.